So who’s going to HEKFEST3000 today/ tonight? It’s gonna be a pretty sweaty affair with 25 killer acts playing across 2 stages including some great art installations inside the infamous cube at Sydney’s Oxford Art Factory. Continue reading “MY SYDNEY RIOT /// 10 BANDS TO CHECK OUT TODAY AT HEKFEST 3000!”
Things have been heating up in the media regarding the state of the live music scene in Sydney and the Governments proposed 1.30am blanket lock outs in the cities CBD (at the writing of this post these laws were passed swiftly over night without any public consultation). The Wentworth Courier approached a punter; Darlinghurst resident; Sean Roche, a venue owner; Oxford Art Factory’s Mark Gerber and a musician; Frontman of Sydney band Fait Accompli; Ray Lalotoa. This is what they all had to say on the matter.
Wenworth Courier is delivered free to most households every Wednesday in the Eastern Suburb areas of Sydney. Also available from your local Newsagent.
Click on image below to read larger version or read the original article HERE
So our friends at BLANK_SPACE GALLERY based out of Crown St, Surry Hills in Sydney are turning 10. Some amazing artists have exhibited there over the years, including OZZIE WRIGHT who brought his Beaches Punk style to the City a few years back. We also came across the Pop Art of a young BEN FROST there when he was just starting out.
Both these artists and many more are currently kicking ass all over the place and that’s thanks to galleries like BLANK_SPACE and many more like them who have given opportunities to struggling artists over the years.
So we got in on the party and are helping BLANK_SPACE celebrate by bringing some great live music to the party. So get yourselves down to OXFORD ART FACTORY GALLERY BAR next Thursday 4 April and help us celebrate the good times.
A huge list of amazing artist talent (check the mega list below) will be exhibiting on the night with all proceeds going to the DOGGIE RESCUE charity. the night will then be brought to a rock n’ roll croscendo with the help of some of our favourite new and local bands on the scene right now;
BANG! BANG! ROCK N’ ROLL /// 10pm
RAB RAB /// 9pm
FIRESAINT /// 8pm
Guest DJs till close. PARTY!
FREE ENTRY! Art Exhibition from 6.30pm /// See you there!
Four of our favourite Sydney music makers, a bunch of artists we consider some of this towns best live bands are coming out to rock Sydney this week. So put on your dancing shows, get in a the car for a week full of Rock n’ Roll good times.
GOONS OF DOOM + THE RUMINATERS w- guests at BUCKLERS CANTEEN, Bondi – Thursday 10, 17, 24, 31 May. Free entry from 8pm.
BANG! BANG! ROCK N’ ROLL opening for ANDREW WK at THE STANDARD, Surry Hills – Thursday 10 May. Tix from moshtix. 8pm.
MYLEE GRACE & THE MILKSHAKES opening for THE OTCHKIES at OXFORD ART FACTORY Gallery Bar, Darlinghurst – Saturday 12 May. Free entry from 8pm.
THE RUMINATERS headlining Semi Permanent After Party at THE STANDARD, Surry Hills. For tix email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out posters and more info below.
This Thursday GOONS OF DOOM return to the stage for a four-week residency at BUCKLERS CANTEEN, Bondi with good friends THE RUMINATERS. All shows will include special guests, this week THE DRUNKEN SAILORS and resident DJ RED CARPET playin sweet classics. The fish taco’s are numero uno. This will be a party you will never forget x 4. Free entry from 8pm.
On the same night in town BANG! BANG! ROCK N’ ROLL will be opening for ANDREW WK & ALEISTER X at THE STANDARD, Surry Hills. Onstage early so make sure you get to this hot show for a rocking good time. Keep an eye out for their new EP which is set to drop very soon! Tix from moshtix. Doors 8pm.
On Saturday MYLEE GRACE & THE MILKSHAKES will serenade the OXFORD ART FACTORY Gallery Bar, Darlinghurst with their good time party tunes. Opening for Brisbane band THE OTCHKIES and DRIFFS, this gig will be special. Free entry from 8pm.
And on the same night THE RUMINATERS will headline the Semi Permanent After Party with a stellar lineup THE CADRES, WINTER PEOPLE & ANDRE17000 at THE STANDARD, Surry Hills. This will be great night, so if you are keen to head along we have a few tickets to the party. email: email@example.com
While we were busy writing jokes for the internet we noticed that there are many, many things to do in Sydney this weekend. So we got the intern to write us a list of what we would go to if we were had the capacity to do everything all at once. Our intern did this while balancing on one leg and rolling joints at the same time. So talented.
MY SYDNEY RIOT TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN SYDNEY THIS WEEKEND
1. OUTPOST PROJECT A festival celebrating and featuring the work of some of this country’s most amazing street artists and our favourites BEASTMAN, ANTHONY LISTER and of course BEN FROST. Cockatoo Island and alot of art everywhere for all ages. Get on the ferry, take your family, take someone else’s family. Do it!
2. BETTY AIRS will be launching their single at THE ROXBURY on Saturday night in Glebe. Awesome band, featuring Darren (ex gerling) and Pat (ex- Vines and the nicest / genuinely friendly man in rock n’ roll) guests THE BUNGALOWS & FLIGHT.
3. BAND OF HORSES are playing in a big stadium out in Homebush. They sound great loud and will take you back to that festival where everyone was on those drugs that make you want to hug, laugh and cry at the same time. Opening for KOL tonight and tomorrow, Acer? Yeah?.
4. STICKY FINGERS w- special guests THE BUNGALOWS & GANASCHZ at THE ANNANDALE HOTEL. Tonight! This gig will be rowdy and fun for those who like the spliff, reggae and half naked girls who love the spliff and the reggae. Jah mun! Did you hear them boys on FBi the other night? they need their own radio show.
5. Tonight! CHICKS WHO LOVE GUNS are also playin, but at a different venue, SPECTRUM. It’s new and shiny. They Rock!!!! They could be the next most exciting band in this city. They really could be. LET ME DOWN + JUNGLE MAN open the show. Will be LOUD!
6. GHETTO BLASTER at Q Bar. They’ll have a skate ramp up in that place. Take note skaters. Plus it’s always a fun time up there. Art, bands and alot of party. IT really feels like a time warp when you go up there. Ghetto Blaster crew know how to organise a crazy shin dig. Yew!
7. ANTHONY LISTER (image above) has an art exhibition taking place in a strip joint somewhere in China Town town? By RSVP only, so apologies in advance art fans. Lister is cool.
8. OUTPOST PROJECT Seriously this event is amazing, get down there. Entry fee is your ferry ticket alone. You have all month to get down there. So don’t miss it.
9. OXFORD ART FACTORY Well it’s always good for that 3am shuffle when you are looking for sanity and don’t want to go home just yet.
10. THE WRECK now named BUCKLERS CANTEEN, Bondi Beach for the hang over. Good food and you can always run down to the beach for a swim to clear your hangover. The party could well just start all over again.
If you say you know MY SYDNEY RIOT at any of these places, be ready to either gain free entry, a free drink or be escorted from the premises. ha ha! You can always give it a crack, not take crack.
PS: 11. SNOWTOWN OMFG! If you’re at home and just want to smoke bongs all weekend, well this movie will freak you the hell out. It is intense both psychologically and makes ANIMAL KINGDOM look like THE WIGGLES.