If you’re into the deeper realms of street art then the name BRETT CHAN will be no stranger to you. If you don’t know then google his name and check out the vibrations he has spread around all over the world. It’s a unique direction which is not just his own true innovative style, but his art is also a conversation about Chan’s outlook on spirituality, life and the message which is to be one with one’s self.
Sydney punk duo GAY RODEO have hit the ground running with a brand new video for their song VEGEMITE. This will definitely go down a treat when it makes its debut on National TV this week just before Neighbours on Channel 10, a great time slot for this classic song by a band that till yesterday we didn’t even know existed.
Also if you get a chance you can vote for Vegemite as it is also a finalist in The International Best Jingle Awards of 2015. The boys have been flown out to Canada and will be debuting Vegemite live at the awards. Stars like Kanye West and Iggy Pop are both said to be attending.
Made by Mtv award-winning film director Glenn Chalk (the Matrix) the guys are currently working on another video which will be released as a vinyl video, something that has never been done before. Look out for their debut EP, set to drop on Iggy Pop’s yet to be named record label.
Head over to our MERCH link at the top of the page and choose from one of the sweet designs.
Buy one of our t shirts and reprazent!
Thanks to our friends at LABEL STATE.
You can check them out HERE
Get in touch if you are interested. Limited spaces. Exhibition takes place in Sydney and is already teeming with amazing talent including;
Holly Hipwell – Flowerdrum
Mylee Grace – Photography
Cloudy Rhodes – Photography / Collage
Kate Farquharson – Photography
Rachel Beer – Poetry
Tallow Gallery – Sydney Film Premiere – Journey
Dear Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, Maria Alekhina and Yekaterina Samutsevich,
The last few days have been very emotional for us here at MSR HQ and we have felt a great deal of sadness for what the outcome is for PUSSY RIOT. We did the best that we could from our end of the world and unfortunately the powers that are right now bigger than all of us have taken a stand for what they believe in and now you have to serve 2 years hard labour and that really sucks man. It just saddens us to know that freedom of speech comes at a heavy price in your Country Russia and unfortunately you are the ones who are paying that price.
We here at MY SYDNEY RIOT will be doing all we can with our friends from all over Australia to spread awareness about PUSSY RIOT over the coming days, months and even years if we have to, so strengthen your resolve and know that the power of the people is growing too here in our own Country. We are all feeling inspired and for some reason what has happened to you has awoken many of us from a creative black hole and we hope that we can get out there and live a little more than how we have in the past.
We’ll be organising more shows, art shows and we’ll be playing drums where we can when we can. We are all highly creative here in our town and through connecting with our friends we’ll be sending out a message to the world and it’s not one of hate or anger, but our message is that “FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS A RIGHT TO ALL!
In the mean time here’s a few activities we got up to in celebration of PUSSY RIOT. We hope you ladies will enjoy listening, watching and learning about us, your punk rock brothers and sisters from Australia.
If you don’t get to see what we have done, we just want you to know that we are with you all the way, in spirit. Be strong!
Peace and Love,
MY SYDNEY RIOT crew and all PUSSY RIOT supporters from Australia
FREE PUSSY RIOT!
FREE PUSSY RIOT!
FREE PUSSY RIOT!
MY PUSSY RIOT COMPILATION – A FREE PUNK ROCK MUSIC COMPILATION FROM AUSTRALIA
DOWNLOAD FOR FREE FROM HERE
VIDEO – SYDNEY DRUM RIOT! FOR PUSSY RIOT!
PHOTOS FROM SYDNEY DRUM RIOT!
Mike Patton, pretty used to the masked tradition via his other band MR BUNGLE! in support of PUSSY RIOT!
Pretty epic seeing amazing bands like FAITH NO MORE supporting this cause.
Check out this video of FAITH NO MORE going all out at one of their stadium shows in Russia with a little help from PUSSY RIOT TEAM!
As a human being living in Sydney, you feel a little helpless about this situation which is going on in Russia. This article which was written by Carole Cadwalladr for THE GUARDIAN gives a clear insight into the struggle that PUSSY RIOT are facing. And if you get through to the end, we are pretty sure you’ll feel inspired.
Yes we are living in the Lucky Country, but this struggle is a big wake up call to us all. Questions like “What are we all really doing out here?” come to mind. Are we really just going to walk through life and just pay our bills and taxes and be done with it? Or do we want to affect some kind of positive and creative change in our society? in our life time? We surely do hope so! Yes! we’re not in Russia, but at times we are prisoners to our own minds, stuck on Facebook feeds, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, a constant barrage of pointless messages. So maybe in a strange way this is what we’ve all been waiting for? A Revolution! be it a creative revolution?
Pussy Riot on Putin, ‘punk prayers’ and superheroes – video: Khristina Narizhnaya Link to this video
Article written by Carole Cadwalladr for THE GUARDIAN
Original Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/29/pussy-riot-protest-vladimir-putin-russia?intcmp=239
The feminist collective hit the headlines when three members were arrested after an anti-Putin protest. Now they face up to seven years in jail, a prospect that has shocked and radicalised many Russians. On the eve of their trial, some of the women speak exclusively
For two very full, very long days in Moscow, I have talked constantly to people about Pussy Riot. About how, back in February, three young women from a feminist punk-rock band sang a song in Moscow’s Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. How they were arrested, imprisoned, refused bail, and now face up to seven years in jail. How the orders for this seem to have come right from the very top of the Russian government. And how their trial – starting tomorrow – seems certain to become a defining moment in Putin’s political career.
It is, many people say (practically everybody, in fact), a moment whenRussia‘s future is, in some as yet undetermined way, being decided.
At 9pm on Thursday night, I’m at a rally of a couple of thousand anti-government protesters, hearing Pussy Riot’s name being chanted in the crowd, and I think I have a grasp of the story. It’s an astonishing tale of how three young women have brought Putin his biggest political headache yet. A story about art versus power. Of civil society versus church and state. Or as one film-maker who’s documenting it says, “punks versus Putin”. (He goes on to say, “It’s Crime and Punishment, basically, but there’s also a band in jail so it’s a bit like The Monkees. Or a really warped Beatles film.”) Continue reading “STILL CONFUSED ABOUT ‘FREE PUSSY RIOT’? READ THIS ARTICLE, IT MIGHT JUST INSPIRE YOU! Pussy Riot: will Vladimir Putin regret taking on Russia’s cool women punks?”
So we already kicked things off in March with the talented THE E.L.F w- special guests DEP & JEP and that was a lot of fun.
Now we’ve got the very talented MYLEE GRACE joining us in Bondi with THE MILKSHAKES and special guests + our awesome Resident djs BANG! BANG! ROCK N’ ROLL spinning Classic Rock n’ Roll tunes all night.
Mylee Grace will be returning to the studio very soon to record her next offering, so stay tuned for that. It is sure to be something very special indeed.
In the mean time pop down for a fun Thursday night hang.
MY SYDNEY RIOT presents… Musical good times, Acoustic delights, Short films, Art and
MYLEE GRACE & THE MILKSHAKES
BANG! BANG! ROCK N’ ROLL DJs
Thursdays; 29 March, 5 & 12 April
180 Campbell Parade (In front of Bondi Beach)
FACEBOOK EVENT https://www.facebook.com/events/254782167948811/
While we were busy writing jokes for the internet we noticed that there are many, many things to do in Sydney this weekend. So we got the intern to write us a list of what we would go to if we were had the capacity to do everything all at once. Our intern did this while balancing on one leg and rolling joints at the same time. So talented.
MY SYDNEY RIOT TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN SYDNEY THIS WEEKEND
1. OUTPOST PROJECT A festival celebrating and featuring the work of some of this country’s most amazing street artists and our favourites BEASTMAN, ANTHONY LISTER and of course BEN FROST. Cockatoo Island and alot of art everywhere for all ages. Get on the ferry, take your family, take someone else’s family. Do it!
2. BETTY AIRS will be launching their single at THE ROXBURY on Saturday night in Glebe. Awesome band, featuring Darren (ex gerling) and Pat (ex- Vines and the nicest / genuinely friendly man in rock n’ roll) guests THE BUNGALOWS & FLIGHT.
3. BAND OF HORSES are playing in a big stadium out in Homebush. They sound great loud and will take you back to that festival where everyone was on those drugs that make you want to hug, laugh and cry at the same time. Opening for KOL tonight and tomorrow, Acer? Yeah?.
4. STICKY FINGERS w- special guests THE BUNGALOWS & GANASCHZ at THE ANNANDALE HOTEL. Tonight! This gig will be rowdy and fun for those who like the spliff, reggae and half naked girls who love the spliff and the reggae. Jah mun! Did you hear them boys on FBi the other night? they need their own radio show.
5. Tonight! CHICKS WHO LOVE GUNS are also playin, but at a different venue, SPECTRUM. It’s new and shiny. They Rock!!!! They could be the next most exciting band in this city. They really could be. LET ME DOWN + JUNGLE MAN open the show. Will be LOUD!
6. GHETTO BLASTER at Q Bar. They’ll have a skate ramp up in that place. Take note skaters. Plus it’s always a fun time up there. Art, bands and alot of party. IT really feels like a time warp when you go up there. Ghetto Blaster crew know how to organise a crazy shin dig. Yew!
7. ANTHONY LISTER (image above) has an art exhibition taking place in a strip joint somewhere in China Town town? By RSVP only, so apologies in advance art fans. Lister is cool.
8. OUTPOST PROJECT Seriously this event is amazing, get down there. Entry fee is your ferry ticket alone. You have all month to get down there. So don’t miss it.
9. OXFORD ART FACTORY Well it’s always good for that 3am shuffle when you are looking for sanity and don’t want to go home just yet.
10. THE WRECK now named BUCKLERS CANTEEN, Bondi Beach for the hang over. Good food and you can always run down to the beach for a swim to clear your hangover. The party could well just start all over again.
If you say you know MY SYDNEY RIOT at any of these places, be ready to either gain free entry, a free drink or be escorted from the premises. ha ha! You can always give it a crack, not take crack.
PS: 11. SNOWTOWN OMFG! If you’re at home and just want to smoke bongs all weekend, well this movie will freak you the hell out. It is intense both psychologically and makes ANIMAL KINGDOM look like THE WIGGLES.
Here’s a behind the scenes look at FAIT ACCOMPLI’S last trip to Melbourne.