Back in the early part of 2012 we got involved with a new venue called CANTEEN, located on the main strip of Bondi Beach. Every Thursday our weekly night RESIDENTS booked a whole lotta new bands to play at CANTEEN and some of the most amazing good times have been had by many friends and bands who have passed through over the last couple of years.
Unfortunately due to the nature of the Swiss Grand Hotel needing to renovate and make the building into another cash cow for the rich (baha!) CANTEEN will be looking for a new home.
So yeah this week is the final week, after this Sunday CANTEEN will be no more, well in Bondi.
So here are a few highlights for us…
– The Mylee Grace month-long residency which ended up getting extended for another month. We all still regret it didn’t stay for three months.
– Witnessing the talents of the following bands; THE CHITTICKS, THE JONES RIVAL, BEC AND BEN (thanks to Helen!), THE VERNONS, PIRATES ALIVE, THE RUMOURS, B-MASSIVE, VIOLET PULP, THE OWLS, MAGIC BONES, PAPERCRANE, NEW LOVERS, HIGH-TAILS, BIG WHITE, PILOTS, THE TROUBLED ROMANTICS, BONEZ, VIRGO RISING and many more…
– That night when GOONS OF DOOM, OTCHKIES and THE RUMINATERS gave us faith that this place actually rocked!
– That night ELEGANT SHIVA and THE DARK HAWKS tore CANTEEN a new a**hole and people were lined up down the street.
– When one of this Country’s most underrated solo artists DAVOR PAVLOVIC (brother of Steve Pav – Modular Records) aka OLD TECHNOLOGY humbly came in at late notice on many occasions and played some of the most soulful tunes and then left many people either confused or totally blown away.
– The jukebox giving dj’s a run for their money.
– Who could forget GOONS OF DOOM New Years 2013? or remember it? Haha!
– That lock-in that happened on a cold Tuesday night? WTF?!!!! ps: When Aya says it’s a casual night of him playing acoustic guitar, don’t believe a word he says!
Which brings us to this weeks farewell party. Together with CANTEEN we invited some of our favourite bands to come together to help us celebrate what has been an amazing couple of years. And from tonight till Sunday CANTEEN will be heaving with some of the most amazing musical talent from all around. So please do yourself a favour and get down to one of the shows. We advise you to come early to avoid any disappointment.
A big reason behind this week is to simply thank you all for your love and support, the other reason is because we just wanted to give something back to CANTEEN and the music community at large for giving new bands the opportunity to play some pretty amazing and special shows that many of us will remember for years to come as part of the beginning of a special journey for many of these amazing artists.
Thanks for the good times CANTEEN. We look forward to what comes next. If it’s anything like it has been then of course you guys will be walkin on rainbows.
WORD ON THE BEACH!
MY SYDNEY RIOT X