While we were busy writing jokes for the internet we noticed that there are many, many things to do in Sydney this weekend. So we got the intern to write us a list of what we would go to if we were had the capacity to do everything all at once. Our intern did this while balancing on one leg and rolling joints at the same time. So talented.
MY SYDNEY RIOT TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN SYDNEY THIS WEEKEND
1. OUTPOST PROJECT A festival celebrating and featuring the work of some of this country’s most amazing street artists and our favourites BEASTMAN, ANTHONY LISTER and of course BEN FROST. Cockatoo Island and alot of art everywhere for all ages. Get on the ferry, take your family, take someone else’s family. Do it!
2. BETTY AIRS will be launching their single at THE ROXBURY on Saturday night in Glebe. Awesome band, featuring Darren (ex gerling) and Pat (ex- Vines and the nicest / genuinely friendly man in rock n’ roll) guests THE BUNGALOWS & FLIGHT.
3. BAND OF HORSES are playing in a big stadium out in Homebush. They sound great loud and will take you back to that festival where everyone was on those drugs that make you want to hug, laugh and cry at the same time. Opening for KOL tonight and tomorrow, Acer? Yeah?.
4. STICKY FINGERS w- special guests THE BUNGALOWS & GANASCHZ at THE ANNANDALE HOTEL. Tonight! This gig will be rowdy and fun for those who like the spliff, reggae and half naked girls who love the spliff and the reggae. Jah mun! Did you hear them boys on FBi the other night? they need their own radio show.
5. Tonight! CHICKS WHO LOVE GUNS are also playin, but at a different venue, SPECTRUM. It’s new and shiny. They Rock!!!! They could be the next most exciting band in this city. They really could be. LET ME DOWN + JUNGLE MAN open the show. Will be LOUD!
6. GHETTO BLASTER at Q Bar. They’ll have a skate ramp up in that place. Take note skaters. Plus it’s always a fun time up there. Art, bands and alot of party. IT really feels like a time warp when you go up there. Ghetto Blaster crew know how to organise a crazy shin dig. Yew!
7. ANTHONY LISTER (image above) has an art exhibition taking place in a strip joint somewhere in China Town town? By RSVP only, so apologies in advance art fans. Lister is cool.
8. OUTPOST PROJECT Seriously this event is amazing, get down there. Entry fee is your ferry ticket alone. You have all month to get down there. So don’t miss it.
9. OXFORD ART FACTORY Well it’s always good for that 3am shuffle when you are looking for sanity and don’t want to go home just yet.
10. THE WRECK now named BUCKLERS CANTEEN, Bondi Beach for the hang over. Good food and you can always run down to the beach for a swim to clear your hangover. The party could well just start all over again.
If you say you know MY SYDNEY RIOT at any of these places, be ready to either gain free entry, a free drink or be escorted from the premises. ha ha! You can always give it a crack, not take crack.
PS: 11. SNOWTOWN OMFG! If you’re at home and just want to smoke bongs all weekend, well this movie will freak you the hell out. It is intense both psychologically and makes ANIMAL KINGDOM look like THE WIGGLES.
Anything Sydney Artist Ben Frost puts his hands to Rocks! The guy has street cred and is dedicated to his craft. Pretenders and learners watch and learn.
Together with the very talented Bridge Stehli they have curated the second Installment to the original PASTE MODERNISM 1, calling it PASTE MODERNISM 2. Featuring artists from Sydney and all over the earth, this will be definitely worth getting to. Why? well because you can’t buy it, it’s all up on the walls.
PASTEMODERNISM 2 OPENS THURSDAY OCT 7TH 2010 !! 6-9PM
AT LO-FI GALLERY (ABOVE KINSELLAS ON TAYLOR SQUARE, SYDNEY)
PASTE-MOD 2 WILL BE OPEN FROM 5.30PM – 12PM FRIDAY OCT 8TH, SAT OCT 9TH + SUN OCT 10TH
CLOSES MONDAY 11TH OCTOBER.. SO GET IN TO CHECK IT OUT…
PASTE MODERNISM 1 here
The world is revolving around Sydney right now, if you didn’t know, then you must be living under a rock. Fashion Bible to all who believe, VOGUE has come out strong with its September Issue (The January for fashion publications worldwide). The cover features the beautiful Australian super model Catherine McNeil flanked by Sydney rocker Akira from Sydney band LA MANCHA NEGRA, both hanging out waitin for the rest of the gang to join them for milkshakes ala 50′s stylee.
The fashion story inside also features a few more rockers ie; the handsome Liam from the now daparted THE SCARE, he has a new band MYTH & TROPICS. Apparently one guy is from a famous Rockabilly band in Newcastle (will get info) and the other guy is the son of Angus Young from AC DC.
Anyway if you know your Surry Hills street wall paper then you’ll be happy to see that the infamous rooftop of the Hibernian House is featured heavily in the shoot. Some of Sydney’s most iconic artists and random’s have lived here over the years including Ben Frost, Bridge Stehli (we’re featuring her right now), Love Ariel, Oliver Heath, Stupid Krap, World End Studios, Anthony Lister, Beastman, Kill Pixie and more…
The story was styled by Australia’s no.1 stylist / Vogue fashion director, Naomi Smith (has kids to one of the FAIT ACCOMPLI‘s). And to cap it all off, the whole she bang was photographed by the talented Max Doyle (yes front man for SONGS).
It’s nice to see a little bit of Sydney being put in a time capsule in the pages of one of the more important fashion magazines of our time. Choosing Surry Hills over more famous locations such as Paris or New York is a sign that maybe Sydney is coming of age and what we’re doing here is worth showing to the world. More Ben Frost / Beastman and less Banksy imposters on the walls please.
Check out the behind the scenes video of the shoot here
Link to the actual story c/o FASHION GONE ROGUE here
*We were joking about the Angus Young’s son bit.
VOGUE September Issue out today.